Hemp foods are becoming extremely popular with good reason, hemp is an ideal super-food. Here is a list of 10 amazing health benefits hemp oil has to offer.
1. Boosted Immunity – Hemp is nutritious for many reasons, but the most striking are the high-quality fats that hemp seed and pressed oil provide. Fatty acids are essential for immune modulation.
Further, endocannabinoids, compounds like THC that our bodies produce naturally, are derived from fatty acids. These endocannabinoids have several different functions. One of which is ensuring that there is balance in the immune system.
Hemp oil is a highly concentrated source of these fatty acids. Increasing your fatty acid intake boosts the immune system and helps your body produce more endocannabinoids.
2. Nervous System Support – Essential fatty acids are crucial for the health of your nervous system and brain. Nerves that communicate with the brain are protected by a fat insulation called myelin.
Myelin helps ensure that signals from one nerve cell (or neuron) to another can properly reach their destination. Myelin is a conductor that carries electrical signals from one part of the body or brain to a different part.
Getting enough essential fatty acids is necessary to prevent brain and nervous degeneration over time. To keep myelin functioning properly, you need dietary essential fatty acids. Hemp is a great source of these essential fatty acids, acting as a dietary supplement for these brain-boosting lipids.
3. Eases Arthritis Pain – The immune modulating effects of essential fatty acids may improve arthritis symptoms. Studies have found that long-term fatty acid supplementation can improve arthritis pain scores and reduce the number of NSAIDS (drugs like ibuprofen) taken by patients.
As mentioned earlier, hemp oil contains a wealth of anti-inflammatory Omega 3 fatty acids. Incorporating hemp oil into a green smoothie or taking it daily will drastically increase your Omega 3 intake.
4. Improved Mood – Yet another benefit of essential fatty acids is mood health. Several studies have shown that Omega 3 supplementation can improve symptoms in bipolar disorder. Others have found improvements in ADD/ADHD as well as autism. This could be because essential fatty acids are critical to maintaining brain function.
Endocannabinoids are also essential for mood. The endocannabinoid system regulates the release of neurotransmitters, some of which play major roles in conditions like depression and anxiety. As mentioned previously, endocannabinoids are made from fat. Consuming extra essential fatty acids gives your body the ability to produce these lipids.
5. Beautiful Skin – Hemp oil is very nutrient rich. Unique from other plant extractions, hemp oil contains the perfect balance of Omega 3 and Omega 6 essential fatty acids. These fatty acids are critical for optimal skin health. Hemp oil is also a great source of linolic acid, an omega 6 fatty acid that reduces inflammation and aids in acne treatment.
6. Healthier Hair – Hemp seed oil contains ceramides. Ceramides are lipids (fats) that support cellular membranes. Cellular membranes are the gates that allow substances to exit or enter a cell. In hair, ceramides help prevent excess moisture from leaving the cells.
Consuming hemp oil or doing a weekly hemp oil mask can greatly improve the moisture quality of your hair. This means shiny, healthy locks. These ceramides also help prevent skin dryness.
7. Balanced Hormones – Hemp is a rich source of gamma-linolic acid (GLA), an omega 6 fatty acid. Studies have shown that GLA is useful in helping the body balance hormones. For women, supplementing with GLA can help ease premenstrual syndrome. They may also reduce cramping and pain during menstruation.
8. Increased Heart Health – It’s no surprise that essential fatty acids also promote heart health. Seven-time Nobel Prize nominee Dr. Johanna Budwig has discovered that high doses of essential fatty acids have successfully treated heart infractions.
The same linolic acid that makes hemp oil so great for the skin can also lower bad cholesterol and prevent saturated fat buildup in the arteries.
When fat builds in the arteries, the heart has to work significantly harder to properly oxygenate your blood. This leads to high blood pressure and prevents your cells from getting the energy they need to survive. Supplementing with hemp oil can reduce your risk of heart disease.
9. Antioxidant Protection – Not only does hemp contain a wealth of healthy fats, but it also is a rich source of vitamin E. Vitamin E is an antioxidant essential for skin and overall health.
If you’re hoping to age gracefully, antioxidants are key. Over time, the body accumulates damage from environmental free radicals. Free radicals can wreak havoc on your DNA and cell membranes.
Consuming foods high in antioxidant vitamins neutralizes free radicals and thereby protect your DNA and cells from damage. Depending on the type of hemp oil you consume, the product may also contain cannabidiol (CBD), which is a more potent antioxidant than vitamin E.
10. Healing Terpenoids – Hemp oil contains some of the same terpenes as dried cannabis bud. Terpenes are the aroma molecules found in plants. Beta-caryophyllene (pepper) and myrcene (musk) are both been found in hemp oil.
According to recent research, beta-caryophyllene acts as a cannabinoid in the body. It engages some of the same cell sites as smoked cannabis. In particular, the terpene interacts with cell receptors that regulate the immune system.
Myrcene has been found to have antidepressant and anti-inflammatory effects. It also acts as an antioxidant and helps molecules move across cell membranes.
The combination of essential fatty acids, vitamins, antioxidants and healing terpenes make hemp oil one powerful superfood.
If you don’t currently consume hemp oil – you may want to start!