The Sativa high is characterized as being psychoactive—often considered a cerebral high. The typical sativa high is also stimulating and activating, especially if you’re smoking a pure sativa. This is a quite different effect as opposed to the whole body stone and deep relaxation typically delivered by indica strains.
These 10 strains are considered by many to be the best of the best when it comes to sativa:
1. Sour Diesel – Sour Diesel is typically dark green with long brownish orange hairs and exceptionally frosty. The Sour Diesel strain has a unmistakable diesel aroma with fruity piney undertones. Sour D tastes bomb—piney with diesel and fruity and earthy overtones. There’s also a deep hit of citrus especially lemon in Sour Diesel weed. It delivers a mellow and hazy head high that calming and relaxing. We scored some Sour Diesel clones and the plants were awesome.
2. Blue Dream – The Blue Dream strain is a cross between legendary DJ Short’s Blueberry from and Mr Nice’s Super Silver Haze. Blue Dream weed is a hybrid of sativa and indica (mainly a Sativa) and was once a clone only strain from California. For a while the Bay Area (and the office of Stuff Stoners Like) was crawling with Blue Dream cuts. Nowadays Blue Dream seeds are available online from Humboldt Seeds. Blue Dream is always a good weed strain to keep around because of its soothing effects. Our First Blue Dream review scored some pretty high marks. Our second Blue Dream review did also. We also reviewed the Double Blue Dream strain and Snoop’s Blue Dream weed strain. All Stuff Stoners Like.
3. White Widow – White Widow is a hybrid cross of a Brazilian Sativa and a super resin-heavy South Indian Indica strain. The White Widow strain is a classic originating in the early 90s in Amsterdam. Shantibaba, now with Mr Nice Seeds, was a partner in Greenhouse Seed Company along with Arjan, where White Widow weed was developed. The two ultimately parted ways and White Widow seeds are available all over from Sensi seed bank to Royal Queen Seeds. White Widow marijuana buds are typically coated in lush white crystals.
4. Super Silver Haze – This is the lovechild of all the killer strains you’ve read about. It’s hazy, it’s from the north and full of light skunky ancestry. Apparently it also won the High Times cannabis cup in 1997, 98, and 99. Okay if you must know the exact genetics of the famous Super Silver Haze strain they are Northern Lights, Haze and Skunk #1.
5. Jack Herer – The Jack Herer strain a famous sativa-dominant plant named after the beloved stoner hero—the activist and author of The Emperor Wears No Clothes; Jack Herer. Don’t misspell dude’s name. It’s not Jack Herrer. Anyhow Jack Herer weed, much like the Jack Herer person is highly effective and energetic. The Jack Here strain delivers a blissful, clear-headed high. Jack Herer seeds are available from Sensi Seeds who created the Jack Herer strain by combining a Haze hybrid with a Northern Lights #5 and Shiva Skunk cross in the Netherlands during the mid-1990s. They were looking to combine the cerebral high of Sativas with the heavy resin production of Indicas.
6. Purple Haze – Purple Haze probably gets its name from a Jimi Hendrix song. Hendrix had a penchant for pot. The Purple Haze strain is an alleged cross of Purple Thai and Haze both sativa staples. Purple Haze weed tastes like a a mix of sweet and earthy flavors with notes of berry and sharp spice. It delivers a high-energy, almost electric, cerebral high. Perfect for smoking during the day or to invoke creativity. If you love purple weed, the Purple Haze strain is a good one to keep around.
7. Headband – The Headband strain is OG Kush crossed with Sour Diesel. The buds are tight and wrapped in beautiful frosty trichome goodness. Headband weed has that classic Kush taste with what seems to be some almost creamy coffee tasting jet fuel on the exhale. Head band has a nice hit of spice, citrus and pine along with some earthy aroma. Sometimes called Headband Kush, the Headband marijuana strain is said to create pressure around the crown of their head—like wearing a headband.
8. Green Crack – Despite it’s silly name the Green Crack strain is definitely Stuff Stoners Like. Green Crack was supposedly developed in the 70s. Apparently it was once known as Cush (not to be confused with Kush). It was renamed Green Crack Kush, supposedly by Snoop Dogg. That name was eventually shortened to just Green Crack. Green Crack weed tastes fruity and sweet. It delivers a strongly uplifting high with plenty of pain and stress relief. One of our weed experts scored some Platinum Green Crack from True Compassion Collective in Sacramento, CA and gave it an 8.5/10. We scored a pack of Green Crack sativa seeds and grew the weed to perfection. Our homegrown Green Crack marijuana had a slight smell of something sweet and earthy with subtle pine highlights and tasted slightly grassy with sweet citrus on the exhale.
9. Maui Waui – There are only 13 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet and about the same amount of ways to spell this popular sativa strain. We’ve seen Maui Wowie, Maui Waui, Maui Wowi, Mowie Wowie. Not matter how ya spell it Maui Wowie is definitely stuff stoners like. Maui wowie originated from Hawaii and contains some amazing tropical flavors—especially pineapple—and fruity aromas. Maybe it’s that rich volcanic soil that gives the Maui Waui strain it’s distinct character. Being a full-on sativa a Maui Waui weed plant is typically tall and lanky. These plants are best suited for cultivation in warm, tropical climates. If you grow some maui waui weed indoors make sure you’ve got rich soil and plenty of headroom.
10. OG Kush – There are a ton of Kush strains out there. From Bubba Kush, to Purple Kush to Zoey Kush, but according to Google OG Kush is leafly’s most popular strain. It’s a cross of Chemdawg X Hindu Kush X Lemon Thai.